Thursday, December 16, 2010

Sächsische Schweiz (Saxon Switzerland) – It's Heaven

My next stop was in the beautiful town of Dresden. Having wrapped up meeting my respondents for my research work in the first I decided to spend the next day exploring the Sächsische Schweiz (Saxon Switzerland) National Park. Sächsische Schweiz has long been on my itinerary given that friends and acquaintances in Germany have vouched for its beauty. Being a nature lover there was no way I could skip it.

Next morning I boarded the train to Sächsische. As the S-Bahn train left Pirna the natural beauty was sinking into me offering me a child-like fascination. As the Elbe river and the sandstone mountains emerged I gasped for breadth. It was simply awesome!

Thanks to the wise advice of the beautiful lady in my hostel’s reception, I travelled further down to the edge of the Sächsische Schweiz national park and got down in Konigstein station. It was a wise decision because I got to experience the countryside before heading off for the cliffs.

So I crossed the river in a ferry, walked through a beautiful settlement on the other side, walked for about 3 miles through dense jungles and finally reached the foothills of the sandstone mountain. As the day settled I was gleeful for I had spent a wonderful day in one of the most beautiful places on earth.











 

6 comments:

  1. Wow! amazing pictures. thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice that you enjoyed your trip to beautiful Saxon Switzerland. If you or your blog reader want to learn a bit more about the region: have a look at our blog: http://saxonswitzerland.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for those wonderful pictures. I now feel like visiting the area. Must agree that Germany has some of the world's most stunning landscapes. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! fabulous landscapes man. I will visit the sandstone mountains the next time I am there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to learn that you enjoyed your trip to Germany.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely pictures. I too visited this place and have some unforggetable memories

    ReplyDelete