Sunday, October 24, 2010

Cologne - A City you Can't Miss

These were exactly the words of a German friend who adviced me not to miss Cologne during my visit to Bonn. The city of Cologne has a certain nostaligia around it and I felt it perfectly lives upto it. Cologne was founded by Roman settlers around 38 BC and ever since has emerged as an interesting center for culture. The Cologne University is amongst the oldest in Europe. During the World War II the entire city was flattened to earth and the only building that remained intact was the Cologne Cathedral. It was quick to spring back to shape.

When I travelled to Bonn for a few days I could manage to visit Cologne only once, for half a day. But I cherished every moment of it that I spent visiting the Cologne Cathedral and a walk by the Rhine river. And this was spiced up by an occassional chat with a citizen who always shared some story about the city.

The railway bridge in Cologne has a very interesting sight. All along the walkway you can see the railings lined up with thousands of keypads. I was informed that these locks are tied by couples who want to stay bonded for life. No one knows when and how this tradition developed but the delightful sight of the lockpads never fails to attract passersby.  

As night descended I headed back to Bonn. And just before I boarded the train back to Bonn I did not forget to pick up a small bottle of the famous 'Cologne' fragrance.










9 comments:

  1. Excellent roundup...i feel as if I am travelling with you..keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cologne, the fragrant city. Never knew they had this tradition of couples placing locks on that bridge. Fascinating tradition and more fascinating is the way these traditions emerge.

    - John

    ReplyDelete
  3. good photography, i must say

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! I like your travelogue. At least it gives me some idea of the places to visit and what to expect in Germany. Can you provide all the details about things you did and eat?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are right. Cologne is a fantastic place and it had wonderful theatre. The natives are also wonderful and healful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought the original fragrance from Cologne. Must say its wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cologne is almost synomous with its fragrance. Can almost smell it everytime I hear this name.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The culture of tying locks on that bridge is interesting. Am wondering whether this is a new tradition or has been there for sometime. Anyway thanks for sharing this information.

    ReplyDelete